A free “Your Heart, Your Life” community health education series is being hosted by the Big Bend Valley Volunteer Fire Department (BBVVFD) at 5:00pm every Wednesday from January 11th through March 22nd 2017. The BBVVFD Fire Hall is located just east of Jackass Flats off Texas Highway 118 at 321 Legion Road.
Did you know nearly 1 out of every 4 deaths is due to heart disease? But you can do something about it! The Your Heart, Your Life project has come to Terlingua, brought to you by your local community health workers. Each week of the 11 week series we will cover a new subject on heart disease and prevention. Throughout the course you will:
- Learn how to keep your heart and your family’s hearts healthy.
- Enjoy games, videos, role playing, and other activities that make learning fun.
- Monitor your blood pressure and blood glucose levels with testing supplies that will be provided throughout the course.
- Socialize, meet new people, and find/give support in the community.
- Get free schwag and take-home information you can share with others.
- Eat delicious foods in a potluck-style, healthy snacks buffet.
The subjects covered each week are:
- Jan 11 Are You at Risk for Heart Disease?
- Jan 18 Act in Time to Heart Attack Signs
- Jan 25 Say YES to Physical Activity
- Feb 01 Control Your High Blood Pressure
- Feb 08 Keep Your Cholesterol in Check
- Feb 15 Aim for a Healthy Weight
- Feb 22 Take Good Care of Your Diabetes for Life
- Mar 01 Make Heart Healthy Eating a Family Affair
- Mar 08 Eat in a Heart Healthy Way- Even When Time or Money is Tight
- Mar 15 Enjoy Living Smoke Free
- Mar 22 Review and Graduation
We encourage you to come, even if just for one or two specific classes. However, those who participate in the full course will find they learn something new from every session! For more information contact Ember at 432-371-2080.